Tuesday, March 11, 2014

March Simple Woman's Book Club



For Details go HERE

Title: 

Letters of a Woman Homesteader


Author:
Elinore Pruitt Stewart

I read this book on: Kindle

My personal thoughts on this book: 
I absolutely LOVED this book, or maybe collection of letters would be better.  It amazes me the things women years ago accomplished in a days work, it also humbles me.  I have often complained about not getting everything done, and we don't have our kids in outside activities.  I have a bread machine that I use the dough cycle on, I have a crock-pot I cook in, I have a washing machine & dryer, I have NO reason to complain about dirty laundry or supper not being on the table.  These 26 letters are from a widowed young mother who is a former laundress and is writing to her former employer about becoming a homesteader in Wyoming in the early 1900's.  The detail she writes in her letters makes the west come alive, whether it is spring peeking out from under the remaining snow, or the dead of winter.  If you enjoyed the Little House books, you will love this too.

Here is a link where you can find/purchase this book: 



A favorite quote from the book
I could not decide on one quote, so I'm including two.

To me, homesteading is the solution of all poverty's problems, but I realize that temperament has much to do with success in any undertaking, and persons afraid of coyotes and work and loneliness had better let ranching alone. At the same time, any woman who can stand her own company, can see the beauty of the sunset, loves growing things, and is willing to put in as much time at careful labor as she does over the washtub, will certainly succeed; will have independence, plenty to eat all the time, and a home of her own in the end.
Stewart, Elinore Pruitt (2005-08-30). Letters of a Woman Homesteader (Kindle Locations 1307-1310). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition. 

But I am only thinking of the troops of tired, worried women, sometimes even cold and hungry, scared to death of losing their places to work, who could have plenty to eat, who could have good fires by gathering the wood, and comfortable homes of their own, if they but had the courage and determination to get them.
Stewart, Elinore Pruitt (2005-08-30). Letters of a Woman Homesteader (Kindle Locations 1316-1318). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. I just reserved it at the library! Thanks for posting this book. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love to hear from you.